Clif's Nanning-Guangxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yan and Clif

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Yan and Clif Empty Yan and Clif

Post  Admin Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 pm

I will at some point in the not to distant future run the full story again of our saga.

The point at this time is that Yan passed the first part of her driving test today. Past it on the first try. Now we have to get her road time enough to pass the driving test within the next 30 days.

I think, I soon will be without any hair...

Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.clifdavis.com

Back to top Go down

Yan and Clif Empty Yan's driver license

Post  docmyster Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Clif, losing your hair might be one thing, but I think you will get old now a lot quicker. LOL!

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Yan and Clif Empty Re: Yan and Clif

Post  premington Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:59 pm

I lost my hair a long time ago; that's why I always wear this baseball cap! Very Happy

Hey Clif, how far along are Yan's driving skills? Do you see any area in particular she's especially strong or weak?

Hu Yue's scheduled to attend her five-hour mandatory driving class, then she's clear to take her driver's test. She still struggles with parking. She hasn't developed a natural feel for parking yet, although she's working at it. Parallel parking and K-turns (three-point turn) are her last obstacles, then I think she'll be ready for the test.

Then she wants to buy a Mini Cooper! cheers

-P
premington
premington

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:55 pm

Yan has driven exactly 3 times. It gets exponentially each time. The first 2 times were just getting the car moving and going in the general direction.

Weaknesses.
1. Not undersanding that the wheel doesn't need to be moved back and forth continually.
2. Understanding the dynamics of when to turn and how to turn. (Still wants to move the wheel very slowly).
3. Even though she is a long time scooter rider, still has issues knowing where the lane is. (We practice in a huge parking lot with streets.)
4. Looking both directions when crossing streets.

All of it we are talking about and working on, it's just a totally new world for her. Not a bike or scooter.

She will do fine.
Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:26 am

Driving is coming along. Still dealing with "road wandering" Had our first crack at "parallel parking". OH boy this is going to take some work. She was really down on herself until I told her that I knew cops who couldn't do this worth a darn. And my mother who had been driving for 40 years couldn't do it well. That helped tons.

What didn't help on her drive home was being stopped by the cops. Yep. Red and blues all over the back of the car. "Hi folks, could you tell me where you're trying to go? The reason I ask is you were doing 20mph and weaving quiet a bit". She says, "Sorry" and looks at me. Officer then asks, "who's car is this" She looks at me and says, "yes"....

I lean forward and ask the officer, "is it ok if I answer these questions"? He shines the light on me and says, "Sure"...

I explain that we were returning home from practicing paralell parking and she was taking her first time on a major street after staying on the side roads. "OH" he says, "a little late night practice. OK, good idea but not on this street. The often use it for a drag strip and I hate for you to get rammed by someone. Have a good night" and off he went.

Needless to say, I drove home and explained what he said and why.

All in all, a fun evening.

Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:49 am

Well the news is in. I received the documentation in the mail today. I will be getting the work visa and heading to Guangzhou probably by the 16th of the month. Yet another in the ongoing saga of Yan and Clif

More to follow.

Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Yan and Clif Empty Yan and Cliff

Post  docmyster Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:54 pm

Congrats Clif!

Hopefully, we will get a chance to meet when I'm in Guangzhou from Shenzhen. We decided to take the train to Nanning via Guangzhou and spend about 8 hours touring the area, and then do the overnight train to Nanning.

Don't forget to e-mail me your contact information in Guangzhou.

Oh, by the way, I am still waiting for the link on the TEFL courses.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Sorry, I thought I had sent them to you.

Clif
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Clif, thanks!

Got it!!

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:19 am

Clif, Good luck in China. It should be an interesting adventure. Hope to hear more about it. Is it very different applying for a work visa compared to applying for a visitor visa?

Danny

Are you going to be changing the name of the forum now? clown

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:10 pm

First, no I will not be changing the name of the forum.... I don't think. HA.

It took about 3 months for the process to be completed. Dealing with the Chinese govt this time and not the American.

I will keep everyone posted. I should be able to get to the forum.

Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 pm

The process is complete and I have the visa and the ticket and am set to leave on the 13th. Stress is at a max right now.

Sometimes I don't know how she puts up with me. I am blessed and she is cursed. I am blessed because I have her, she is cursed because she has me to deal with...

I am blessed because I have everyone here...

Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Hey Clif, you're leaving the same day I arrive in Shanghai.

Have a safe trip and don't forget to send me your contact information. If I don't see you on this trip, then for sure during the X-mas and New Year holidays.

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention previously.

Enjoyed seeing you again in Dallas this past week and the opportunity to finally meet Yan. She's a great lady, I can see why you love her. She is funny and quite a character. Hmm, Yan trying to order our meals in Chinese at a Korean restaurant was very amusing. Me saying Ni Hao and Xiexie at the door, not knowing it was Korean, and getting funny looks. Oh well, we had a nice time. At least our Fuwuyen knew a Chinese word or two and was able to say in Chinese he was from Hanguo.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:24 am

Morning of the 11th. Raining. it's 630 and they open at 730 for testing. Not sure how this works in the rain. It isn't looking good.

I leave Wednesday around 230pm for the airport.
Email from my new boss indicates he will pick me up
More to follow
Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Clif, are you ready to go? I hope you have a good trip. I wonder how busy Guangzhou will be this month. I believe the Canton Fair should be running this month.

How did Yan do on her driving test? I hope everything went well. How is Daniel during? What grade is he in now? Is he ready for driving? Driving like they do in the movie: Fast and Furious, Tokyo drift?

Vrrooom, Vrooom!! lol!

Have a safe trip. Hope we hear about how things are going in China.

Danny

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Hey Danny, just returned from the testing. Arrived at a little before 8 and left at almost 1. Yikes...

She did not pass. The tester indicated 2 areas of serious work needed. Parallel parking and she "drove to slow".

Perhaps part of it was not being sure of the car she was driving. She talked our neighbor into going and allowing her to use her much smaller car to take the test. She felt more comfy with it, but.....

She wants to take the test again tomorrow.

I will leave tomorrow afternoon at 5ish. So, today is going to be spent trying to make sure I haven't left anything.

Daniel is in the 9th grade and doing fairly well. Learning to drive... oh heavens no. But he is learning Japanese.

As the world turns... it is an interesting view.

Blessings,
Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob S Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:07 pm

Wow sorry to hear such bad luck Clif. I put my youngest son thru a one day class. He took a written test end of day got a certificate. Went to DPS turned in certificate and DL application. I thought he would get a learner's permit? He got a full Texas DL with no restrictions this week without a driving test. Go figure Texas laws?

Bob S.
Bob S
Bob S

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Holy cow...
I tried to get her to take a class. Even with Chinese instructors. "No, husband can teach.."

Ok, feel like crap she failed.

Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Yan and Clif Empty And here I sit

Post  Admin Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:07 am

Made it to GZ. Now sitting in my new abode. I will post pictures as soon as I get everything sorted out. So far everything is fine. The plane ride was a bit much. I don't care what you say, flying coach is NOT the best way to fly. Unless you are 5'2'' ...
More to follow.
Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:43 am

Clif, Glad to hear that you made it okay. A long trip, from Dallas to Los Angles to Guangzhou? I am just guessing you route. I have to agree with you it is a long flight no matter which way you go.

I was reading that the Canton Fair started yesterday or the day before. The city must be busy. What is the time difference from Texas to Guangzhou? Your day must be turn up side down a bit.

We hope we get a lot of details on your adventures in China. Have fun and take care of yourself.

Danny

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:06 am

Yeah, the Fair is here, as well as the Asian games. We had to walk about a half mile then carry my luggage up a flight of stairs and then down because of the "no parking" zones around the area.

Lots of westerners on the flight coming to the fair.

Still getting things set up.

Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Clif, How are things in Guangzhou? Did that typhoon Megli hit you guys.
I don't know what happened but I got a double posting of this post. If you want you can delete this one.

Danny

BTW, Clif, I speak a little Japanese if Danny needs any help with Japanese I would be willing to give him any help I can. In many ways Japanese is a good choice for a second langauage. It is different than Chinese but many of the characters may be similar. I wish him luck with his studies.

Last edited by danny on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double posting)

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Clif, How are things in Guangzhou? Did that typhoon Megli hit you guys?

Danny

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Made it past the first 2 weeks.

Had my in country physical last Wednesday. Will get the results on the 1st. I suppose if they want to get rid of me, I could fail it and gone I would become.

Thy had to pay 600rmb for the test so hopefully it won't go that way. They did an ultra sound and the nice doctor who was doing it could speak a little English and was proud of that fact. She was doing the area around the gall bladder and said, "Oh, you have ball in gallbaDER." I said, "yes, I know". "YOU KNOW..!!!!!!, OH, ok... "

When we finished, I asked her, "hao bu hao" She smiled and said, HAO... I hope that means good things.

As my boss said, "We have both invested a lot of money getting you here, I hope you will be here a long time.

The typhoon passed us by with only a little wind. Hasn't rained since I have been here. It is pretty cool now. Wishing for a heater.

Finding pretty much everything I need to make home life good.

Thanks for asking. More to follow....
Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:36 am

Got the information back from the Med office.

Pretty much what I expected and now the info goes to the PSA for final approval I suppose.

The good news is, I found the 2 inch foam padding I need to have a bed I can sleep on. Sam's club rocks. And it's one of those things that "I don't care what it cost, I would give a months salary for a soft bed for a night. So, first purchase after I get paid... FOAM.

Got the bank account set up complete with ATM card. Used my American ATM to pull funds from the US. No issues there. (Thanks for the info from you guys.)

Yan got her drivers license and as a truly happy camper. It's cold and wet in Dallas right now. She keeps talking about coming here. Not sure what will happen there. Once we get her 10 year card. I think the more she gets entrenched there, it will be harder for her to leave. HA.

The school is in the southern part of the GZ area, in the Panyu district. I have been out a couple of times and don't feel nearly as comfortable getting out here as I have in Nanning. It's like going home there.

Been here for almost 3 weeks. Actually tomorrow at 6am my time it will be 3 weeks.

Sometimes I wake up and think, HOLY COW, I LIVE AND WORK IN freaking CHINA. How did that happen. Who would have thought that when I returned to the states in 1970 that 40 years later, I would be back in Asia... not really knowing when I would go back to the states.

Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next