Clif's Nanning-Guangxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

holiday in nanning

2 posters

Go down

holiday in nanning Empty holiday in nanning

Post  steve3643 Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:07 am

Good afternoon everybody,

Just to let you all know that i had a wonderfull time in Nanning,but,there is always a but,i dropped my laptop just as i was leaving home,and damaged it beyond repair,so i was there but could not contact anybody,and like a fool i never made a paper back-up,never even crossed my mind,so had to wait until i got home to inform you all of the wonderfull time i had,ok it was only family members that i saw and a few personal friends,but it was nice just walking the streets in warm weather.

Noticed this time the amount of electric bikes / scooters there are now,and bloody dangerious as well, as they are silent,and push chairs for the youngsters,wheelchairs for the old / infirm,is Nanning moving more to western style living or seeing that these things are better than the old way.

Sister-in-law met me at the airport and supplied me with a chinese sim card for my phone,and took me to the apartment she rented for me,it sounds like ALMANCHAIR, junction of Renmin Road and Touai Road,very close to The Peoples Park,so i was self suffient,but she was always there in case i needed anything.it was a good arrangement for me,i had mothers address written down so only had to show that to the taxi drivers and it was easy,not that my wifes family speak any english but we understand each other,going shopping again was not a problem as you only had to point,and i had a portable translater with me in case of difficulties,but i rarely used it.My wife phoned me every day to make sure that i was ok (she could not come ) so at least i knew she was ok in england,even my stepdaughter was surprised when i turned up at her door one day,how did you remember my address she asked ?? easy i said a use to drive 60-80000 miles a year so a short stroll to your place is no problem,hummmmm forigieners do not always understand how british minds work.

Maybe i might go again next year,because the weather was perfect for me,and no rain,but i could not cope with there summer 30-40c.
steve3643
steve3643

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Yeah Steve, I waited for your call, since my apartment is only a 10 - 15 minute walk from Ren Min Park. I pass it almost every day when I'm on the bus or taxi going somewhere.

Glad you enjoyed your stay and had a good time, that's what counts.

Yep, the weather was great in Nanning. We had one day of rain and I think one or two days of temps around 14 - 15c. But, for the most time, it was between 20 - 24c with an occasional 26 - 28c.

This year was my first summer I spent in Nanning (July - August). The temps were from 32 - 40c, but I enjoyed it most in the evenings when we took our walks and did majority of our grocery shopping and other activities. It seems in the summer most businesses stay open late, so we had no problem going shopping at 9PM.

I usually keep triplicate contact information on my laptop, USA mobile and China mobile. That way I can always locate someone's number.

Michael, aka Enho2, showed me a China mobile phone he purchased thru AnyCall that uses dual sim cards. When in USA or China, once the phone is turned on it automatically searches and detects the applicable network and activates the appropriate sim card. Something worth looking into.

Take care, and maybe next time we can meet.

Doc
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

holiday in nanning Empty Re: holiday in nanning

Post  steve3643 Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Hiya Doc,
Bloody idiot that i was,but you learn something everyday,so when i get another laptop i will be putting everything in a notebook as well,must admit that i was lost without any contact with friends.

Also make sure the straps on my laptop case are secure before slinging it over my shoulder.

For someone my age and living in the uk,the weather in spring and autumn are best for me in Nanning,not too hot or cold,and noticed this time the amount of building work going on.

The reason for me going on my own was simple,wanting to see if i could manage on my own and do what i wanted and not what my wife wanted to do.i think that i managed very well but having sister-in-law at the end of a phone was very reassuring and of course her setting me up was easy,hotels are nice but impersonal,apartments give me more chance to live life how i do in the uk,shopping,launder,getting up and going to bed as and when i wanted and of course cooking and eating.

Now sister-in-law does not speak much english,but between her attempts and the translator and my little bit of chinese we made a good team,and of course she was my link to the family and of course she gave feedback to my wife in the uk,so i was free but being watched over.

Now anybody who has been to Nanning will know about there massage parlours,just outside The Peoples Park going down the hill on the righthand side is such a place,so one day i asked sister about foot massage,she said words to the effect it cost about 30rmb,so walking out the park one morning at about 10 am i thought that it was a good idea,wrong,that place is a sex place,boy was my face red,but when i told sister and she told the rest of the family there was much amusement,i never did get my foot massage or any other type of massage.

Being on my own i did get a few odd stares,a stranger in our city not speaking the language type of thing but everybody was very friendly,buying food in the market was an eye opener,as you feel and pick what you want and as long as they wrote in the air how much i had to pay,things went well,eating and drinking in the "cafe" was the same,but the younger people did want to try there english on me and if one was a bit more advanced then he / she was the spokesperson for the group,so i had to answer a lot of questions,but they all seem to think that western people have a good lifestyle compared with theirs,i tried to explain that to me their style of living was better for me,but of course you have to realise that as i am retired i only have a pension so am no longer a worker,and seeing how much their wages are,they do not do too bad,but again i am talking as a visitor and not as a resident.

As my wife works in a school in the uk she can only have her holidays during the school holidays,very difficult for me,as 2 weeks is not long enough for a good holiday,as she wants / needs to catch up with all her family while i want to see the sights,but now she knows that i can cope if someone is close by and i know that she can cope in the uk.
steve3643
steve3643

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Steve,

Going on your own is the only way you will learn how to get around and learn to survive on your own or do stuff on your own when not wanting to hang out with wife and her family. For me, I enjoy being with family, but not as much as my wife does. It seems anything we want to do, has to include family. I can't believe how many calls are between them day and night, every day.

Although, she is starting to realize that even if I'm in China for 4 - 6 weeks, part of that time is working in Suzhou away from her and time with her is more precious. So, she now minimizes time with her family and will ask me if I want to go visit family. If I say no, she accepts it and we make plans to do something or hang out at home watching TV and movies, and bonding. She loves the bonding time more.

Anyway, I get out on my own, take the bus, taxi and train with no problem. Plus, I buy my tickets for train online and domestic flights and book hotels on my own.

I don't mind the stares, I've gotten use to them and find it amusing. Especially the young females like giving you a smile and sometimes flirt. In the USA, I be acused of sexual harassment for flirting back. Chinese women like it and enjoy getting compliments.

April is when I make my permanent move to Nanning. So next time you're in town call.

Doc
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  steve3643 Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks Doc,
It is as you say,if your on your own you have to do what you want to do,do not rely on other people,i also understand the family thing,as my lot are very close,and they like to watch over me,brother -in -law wife complained to my wife this morning,she only saw me once during the time i was there,but she finishes work at 9pm so by the time she gets home it is 9-30 to 10pm,sorry but by then i am thinking of getting back to the flat.

The stares,and young females,will admit that in England i would be called a pervert,but to me they want to practice there English on someone,now maybe the boys are shy but it always seems to be the girls who start it off and then another one joins in,it is fun at times but other times it can be time consuming,i have told them of a few places where they can go and speak to Europeans,but they said the people there were a bit strange ?????? i will leave that up to someone else to answer,i have only been to one place and that is shut down now.

Maybe i can come over there and make my last few years more comfortable,we shall see.
steve3643
steve3643

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum