Clif's Nanning-Guangxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RaR

4 posters

Go down

RaR Empty RaR

Post  danny Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:50 am

Hello, I have some questions about some software. It is RAR or maybe WinRar. It is some type of data file compression or "stuff." I got some photo's from China that used this type of file software. Intially I was not able to view the photo's. I downloaded WinRar from CNET. Free for 40 days and then I have to pay. It is not that easy to use or maybe I am just not use to using it. I would look at one photo and when I tried to go to the next it would say that there wasn't a file there. But it was there . A few years ago I had to deal with RAR type of software to view some photos that someone had sent me. Is there some way to use the software where it is easier and not with such a struggle? It would nice if it just ran in the background and was invisible to the user...me!!

The photo's that I had received were of Beijing University. There were some very nice photo's of the place. It looks like a very nice university. It must have a rich heritage.

So what do you guys think?

By any chance would resizing software play into the solution at all?

DannyB

danny

Back to top Go down

RaR Empty Re: RaR

Post  Danming Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:10 am

DannyB unfortunately winrar doesn't do much for compressing a string of photos. They are already compressed by the Jpeg format. About the only the only benefit to using a rar program is that the picture files can be sent in a folder all together in one download rather than individually. The resolution or dimensions of a photo don't improve much either as those are set by the sender before they are wrapped up into a single rar file.
You will not have to pay for the rar program.....It will just continue to ask for you to pay but you can click close and it will still extract the file.....
If you choose Extract too option then the software will extract it to a location of your choice....I have received some photos this way also and it is a format used by some to send a full directory of pictures at one time.
Danming
Danming

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprd Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:10 pm

as Dan says the best way is to extract the file. if you right click on the rar file on the menu there should be some new options. extract here, extract to and extract to folder (with the folder being the file name) the last is usually the easiest option (at least for me) as it creates a folder and puts all of the extracted file in this new folder.

Casprd

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks guys, I tried that extract thingy. Did a right click, gave it a destination of where to go and now I have the all extracted photos in four files inside of one file. I started with 4 RAR files. You guys got me started. Thanks again.
Danny

PS I went back to Brian's instructions. Intially I did an "extract file". I just tried Brian's "extract here." option. He is right. That seems to be the easier way. When first trying something new sometimes i get going down the wrong or different path. Thanks again. I am feeling a little more comfortable using the software. some of the pieces have fallen into place.

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  RandyW Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:16 pm

WinZIP is a sharewear, 30 day trial program, but has a VERY friendly click and drag and drop-style interface, and handles a number of archive formats, including ZIP, RaR, and some of the UNIX archives as well.
RandyW
RandyW

http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum