Clif's Nanning-Guangxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On my way!!

5 posters

Go down

On my way!! Empty On my way!!

Post  docmyster Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:26 pm

Soon, Oct. 12th I will be in China. First to Shenyang to give away shu's daughter at her wedding. Then Shanghai, Suzhou and Shenzhen for some work. Then it is all R&R back in Nanning.

Hoping to meet up with Steve Kilnman and Richard who are suppose to be in Nanning for awhile.

Anyone else, please let me know. Will be in Nanning Nov. 6 - 14, maybe longer, though will be back again Dec. 17 - Jan. 5.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

On my way!! Empty Re: On my way!!

Post  Kilnman Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Snyder:
Give a call when you get to Nanning. weather here very good now. Smile

Our phone numbers: 558-1049 ( house phone) or my cell which is: 268-6963, We will be here until the end of November.

Happy travels with God speed.

Steve and menglu

Kilnman

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:10 am

Steve,

After I am done with work in Shenzhen, I will be in Nanning Nov. 6 - 14, maybe longer.

I will give you a call. Robert Holmberg Stork is there or will be there also in November and staying for 6 months.

I don't know who else will be in Nanning. Leonard is there now, though in Beijing.

Michael and Jessie will be at my daughter's wedding in Shenyang.

Franco is living there now. Tim Babb is going there this month and will be there I think 4 weeks.

We should all hookup at Just for You.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Steve,

I am not sure how many area codes are assigned in Nanning for mobile and house phones because my mobile is "152" and Shu's is "158" and our house phone is "150". The numbers you listed do not have the area codes. Could please give me the full numbers, so I could call you once I am in Nanning?

Thx!

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kilnman Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Snyder:
See my PM to you. If you are in Nanning, then my 7 digit number will work . If you are outside Nanning, then you must dial 0771 first. Hope his works.

Steve(ilnman)

Kilnman

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:55 pm

Ok, Steve, got it!

Although, I know the primary area code is 771 or 0771 when outside of Nanning, which is odd because my home number does not have 771, it has 150, and my cell phone is 152 and Shu's is 158. When I dial my home number or Shu's cell phone when I am in Nanning, I cannot dial the 8 digits, it has to be all 11 digits. I asked Shu about his and she said only people with the 771 area code can you dial directly without the area code.

It is also odd you have a 7-digit local number for your home and cell phones, instead of 8 digits like everyone else I know. We have friends living in the new district, their areas code are 136, 138 and 159.

Oh well!!

Thanks,
Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kilnman Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:05 am

Most things here in China are "ODD", snyder. I won't evern start to get into it. Evil or Very Mad

Steve(kilnman)

Kilnman

Back to top Go down

Post  steve3643 Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:33 am

i shall be in Nanning for 3 weeks in November then Beijing for 5 days.
my wife is staying in England ( had her holidays ) so young sister will be holding my hand some off the time.
looking forward to being on my own and seeing things i want to see instead of things my wife thinks i want to see.
am staying in an apartment about 5 mins walk from peoples park.
steve3643
steve3643

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:57 am

Steve3643,

I live about a 15 minute walk from People's Park. When in November will you be in Nanning? Most of the guys are already here in town.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  steve3643 Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:06 pm

will arrive in nanning on the 3 nov till 25 nov,at this moment in time.
have to see family for the first few days then should have some free time,
hope to meet up with people and put names to faces.
will get a chinese sim card for my phone,so will know my number when i get there,but any one can e-mail me and i will let them know.
steve3643
steve3643

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:29 am

Steve3643,

I will be in/out of Nanning working in Shenzhen and Suzhou, but will be around until Nov. 27.

When you are able you can reach me at 152-4071-5655 or 150-7715-8623.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  steve3643 Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:53 am

thanks a lot,i will be in contact
steve3643
steve3643

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:57 am

Ok, look forward to hearing from you and meeting with you.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  timb Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Doc - I leave this Friday (Oct 29th) and arrive in Nanning the morning of the 31st. Staying until November 15th. I'll be staying at Franks place. No firm plans but might do some sightseeing in Guilin & Yangshou. Probably will want to hire a translator/tour guide type person once I am there. I'll pick up a local sim card so I can have a local number once I am there.

Best way to reach me is from Franks number. If you don't have it, let me know.

- Tim
timb
timb

Back to top Go down

Post  Kilnman Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Tim:
Have a good trip to Nanning. For your info, Frank has my phone number while we are in Nanning.

Also: FYI , we use a travel agent for internal travel here in China. She is ENGLISH speaking and very good . She is: Eileen Huang; her phone number is: 138 799 01255. I called her and said you may be interested in travel with guide. Eileen has helped us for several trips/guides including Guilin/Yongshou a couple of times. We stay at the WaterFall Hotel in Guilin. It is a 5 star hotel with excellent view if you get on the right side of the hotel.
Her e-mail address is: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or @126.com ,either way.

Steve (kilnman) and Menglu
Nanning for a while

Kilnman

Back to top Go down

Post  timb Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks Steve, I may indeed call her.

Tim
timb
timb

Back to top Go down

Post  Kilnman Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Also, Tim:
If you need a real good as in very very good good, trustworthy interpreter in Nanning, she is :

IDA and can be reached at 214-1191 or 13557110170. If you call her, tell her you have correspondence with Steve and Menglu
Steve(kilnman)

Kilnman

Back to top Go down

Post  timb Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Yes, I know Ida Yin and may use her services also.

Thanks!
timb
timb

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:07 am

Tim,

Make sure you bring along some cool weather clothing. It is starting to cool down here and with humidity/moisture in the air, anything below 60F feels like 50F or colder.

2 - 3 days in Guilin should be enough, if you leave early in the morning by train. The ride is only 3 hours from Nanning. Lots to do and see. You really enjoy it there, especially if you do the evening show on the river. Last year it was too cold, so a lot of the river rides and evening shows were shutdown, except for the ferry ride, which is about 1 1/2 hours.

I leave for Shenzhen Oct. 31 and return late at night Friday, Nov. 5, then leave again Nov. 7 for Suzhou returning Friday, Nov. 12, though leave again back for Suzhou Nov. 14. I am only in town on weekends. Although, I will be off from Nov. 19 - 27, then head back to USA.

I have Frank's home and mobile numbers. We chatted on Monday and this eveing. We hope to hook up Friday afternoon.

As for a local sim card, not all USA phones will accept a China sim card. Your best bet is to rent a phone in China.

Have a safe flight and hope to see you while you are here between my work.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Tim , have a great trip. Say Hello to Frank. Hope he is doing well in Nanning.

Doc, You said:

"As for a local sim card, not all USA phones will accept a China sim card. Your best bet is to rent a phone in China."

While renting a phone is one way to go, There are many phones in the US that will work in China. One just have to make sure that it is Unlockable, has a sim card, and is a quad band phone. One can get them from AT&T ( yours may be own one) , T-mobile, Tiger Direct and even Dell. Just wanted to mention there are options.

Danny

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Danny,

I was simply providing some advise because not everyone may have a phone that will accept a China sim card, and if they have to be unlocked, not sure if Tim is willing to trust the service in China, since it is his first visit. I am having 2 phones I brought over from USA, they are Black Berry and the shop has had them for 2 days and have not been able to unlock them. So, as I said, not every phone can be unlocked and not sure if Tim wants to deal with the same issue, since he is only going to be in China for 2 weeks. Renting a phone is easy and quick, and less of a headache and no waiting. The cost is worth the risk of waiting and getting your phone damaged.

It is best to be safe, than sorry.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  timb Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm bring two unlocked Iphones with me, and a 3rd locked one what I will just use when emergencies. I've used the one phone before when I was in Shenyang, it worked fine. If I can find a wi-fi, then I have skype.
timb
timb

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 pm

I have not had any good luck with using skype on my phone when outside of USA. I always get a message saying "Mobile Skype only Available in USA". Don't know if it had to do with being on Verizon or my Black Berry, but this message has always appeared even when in Mexico. Skype use on PC is ok, except I've had poor video quality, which I think is due to slow internet connection and/or if where I am at if I am connected to high-speed or not. I think for the most part, it is due to not being connected to high-speed.
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  timb Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:20 am

I have not had a problem with Skype. On my unlocked iphone, when In Shenyang, I got a local sim card and used it fine. I however did most of my communication on skype. I went to the Starbucks there, used their wireless to make calls from skype.
timb
timb

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Tim, how old is your Iphone? Where did you get it unlocked? In China or the US?

Panda

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum