Clif's Nanning-Guangxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is this Dan?

5 posters

Go down

Who is this Dan? Empty Who is this Dan?

Post  danny Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Hello!! I was just looking at the US consulate website in Guangzhou:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Who is this Dan guy that they are showing a photo of? If you click on his photo there is some additional info given. I wonder if we can "liason" with him in Nannng. Has anyone ever dealt with him before?

Danny

PS, I am not sure if liason is the correct term to use. I am wondering if he is the/a person who could help US citizens who are living or staying in the Nanning area.

danny

Back to top Go down

Who is this Dan? Empty Who is this Dan guy?

Post  docmyster Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:29 pm

Danny,

The link you provided does not take you to any specific photo, topic or article that mentions a person named "Dan". I browsed thru the website and opened as many articles I could find and viewed photos, there is no mention of, or a photo of this "Dan". It would be nice if you could mention the specific article and/or topic and location on the website.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Who is this Dan? Empty Re: Who is this Dan?

Post  danny Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:11 pm

I am assuming that his name is Dan Holtrop.
If you can't find him, go to :

What I really like to know is what can he do for Americans in Nanning or is that just a fancy title listed under his name.

BTW if you click on the date Nov. 4, 2009 you will get a photo of Consul General Goldbeck in Nanning visiting WalMart.

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:53 am

Ok, I got to the page that speaks about him. But the article merely introduces him from coming onboard in 2009. I'm not sure how this article implies he is someone to establish a liaison or some form of relationship to help any expats. I don't see how, or even assume, his title implies anything, other than he is an assistant to the CG.

Oh, and I also clicked on his photo,as you said, but nothing. You can't click on it.

I suggest sending him an e-mail and asking what can he do for expats, especially in the visa process.

From what I have found out recently from expats I met in Shenyang, as well as the Assisitant to CG in Shenyang, is you will get better service, assistance, guidance and less hassles, if you deal directly with the specific CG Office having jurisdiction for the region where the Chinese National is "Officially Registered", i.e., birthplace, or where their parents had registered the official place of residency.

Shu and I had no problems at the CG in Shenyang (where she is officilally registered). I had used the wrong form (out dated) that was posted online and from the Guangzhou CG (they don't accept any forms from other CGs, each CG has its own forms). They gave me the correct forms, explained to me how to properly fill it out and then had me go to the waiting room to fill out the forms and then go back in line to drop them, and wait to be called. They did not require extensive information on Chinese Nationals, as the Guangzhou CG requires, and they were very nice to Shu. All they wanted to know was her birth date, full name, place of birth and official residency. NOTHING MORE.

The advice I got (and found out from others this works better), is get married legally in China at the marriage bureau where fiance is officially registered and have the photos taken by the marriage bureau staff because they include posters of your marriage date (which makes it very official) and you and her receving your marriage books and holding your marriage certificates. Then, wait 2 full years from date of marriage, and then apply for the residency card (Green Card), and you avoid all the other tons of paperwork, spend no more than $800 USD, make 3 - 4 trips to the CG office (if living in China), or do it by mail, and have everyhting processed no longer than 6 months. They said this process is easier, better and quicker, and they do not question if the relationship is bonifide because you are already married and have official documented evidence from the Chinese government. The 3 expats I met and spoke to, neither of them used a lawyer or outside visa service because they said the process was very easy for them, and none of them ran into any problems. They did say if the CG had any questions, concerns or wanted clarification, they simply scheduled an appointment and made the one-day trip to answer questions and clarify anything, and even correct any paperwork on the spot.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:35 am

Synder, Not sure what your problem is but when I go to the first link I get a photo on the lower middle left side of the page that comes up. Above the photo is a Caption that reads: WHERE IS DAN. I click on that photo and I am taken to a new page and it shows the info below:

Dan Holtrop assumed his duties as U.S. Assistant Public Affairs Officer at the U.S. Consulate Guangzhou and as Nanning Virtual Presence Post Officer on July 29, 2009. Mr. Holtrop joined the State Department in 2005 and has served previously as a Consular and Political Officer at the American Institute in Taiwan. Earlier, Mr. Holtrop was an Assistant Professor of History with a focus on U.S. Foreign Relations. He speaks German and Chinese.

Mar 8, 2010 (Guangzhou)
Feb 1-3, 2010 (Guilin & Beihai)
Dec 7, 2009 (Beihai)
Nov 4, 2009 (Nanning)
Oct 23, 2009 (Yulin)

If you are not getting this perhaps it is because you are in China. That would seem strange but I am only taking a guess. The point of my post was really to get a better understanding of what this "Dan" might be able to do for people in Nanning. I also would like to find out if he has an office in Nanning. Personally I doubt it but I just would like to confirm it. A few years ago Steve K. meet with someone from the consulate. I believe it was either at the Marriot Hotel or maybe at the Best Western Red Forrest Hotel. But I also believe that he was only making some kind of "courtesy visit" to Nanning.

Shenyang is the northeastern part of China , isn't it. It must get real cold up there. Brrr

Danny

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  docmyster Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:20 am

Danny,

I got that information, but I thought you said to click on his photo and get other information. The information about him, I don't read or interpret from it that he would be somoeone to establish any knd of liaison or relationship to help expats.

I could not locate any other more detailed information as to what his actual duties and responsibilities are or anything that could imply he would be valuable resource. The description of announcing his appointment is generic, so I am not sure how you managed to assume he would be an asset.

As far as I am concerned, he is a nobody, until proven otherwise. Just my opinion.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  danny Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:50 pm

Synder, as the kids says today. My bad. I must be mistaken. The intial link I posted was tittled, "American in Nanning". I had never seen this page before. The photo of our "Dan" , I have never seen that before. And that I have never heard of Dan Holtrop was the Nanning Virtual Presence Post Officer. And that the article about him gave a date and city's name was given. That city's name was Nanning. Just to throw a little more info in to things I posted another link that has some photo's of Dan.

I had started the post to see if anyone knew about this guy and if he had anything to do with Nanning. I guess not. My Bad.

Danny

danny

Back to top Go down

Post  EricFromNC Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:44 pm

Let me add my support to what Snyder said as my lao po is also from the Liaoning province where Shenyang is located.
Do get married in China at her 'registered' provincial location or whatever it's called.
Make sure it's fully documented as he pointed out with photographic proof and wait two years. It is cheaper as long as you keep track of every communication and piece of paperwork in case something does get 'lost'.
I even showed proof I financially supported her there and everything including the 4 trips I made after our marriage.
My lao po's green card application was automatically converted to a 10 year green card because her interview came after our 2nd anniversary. Granted... it SUCKS waiting that long but if you're willing to put up with it, it's worth it in the end.
She's here. We're happy and that is all that counts!
Lastly to all who read this...
While the previous forum is no more, many of the erudite and experienced people have followed this forum and can provide excellent resources.
FOLLOW their instructions and advice. You'll save yourself TONS of headaches and heartaches.
Believe me. I did and it proved invaluable to us.

EricFromNC

Back to top Go down

Post  Kilnman Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:14 pm

Eric ( and others):
I think Robert's The Nanning Forum.com is up and running again.

Steve(kilnman)

Kilnman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:27 am

I received an email that the Forum is back up and running. I have not been there yet.

Clif
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.clifdavis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum