Clif's Nanning-Guangxi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Valentines Day

4 posters

Go down

Chinese Valentines Day Empty Chinese Valentines Day

Post  Casprd Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:19 pm

Completely forgot about this day coming up but monday the 16th is the Qixi Festival. Guess I can fall back on the timezone/int'l date line excuse Razz

Casprd

Back to top Go down

Chinese Valentines Day Empty Re: Chinese Valentines Day

Post  danny Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:22 am

Thanks Brian for the reminder. I just sent an ecard via blue mountain. as you said, Thank goodness for the time difference.

Danny

danny

Back to top Go down

Chinese Valentines Day Empty Chinese Valentines Day

Post  docmyster Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:09 am

Holy crap!!

I wish I would have known that. Today, Shu is on a train from Nanning on her way to Shanghai to be with me in Suzhou.

Well, I guess I will phone her and wish her Happy Qixi, or wahtever it is your supposed to say to your significant other.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprd Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:21 pm

hehe. Yeah I'm usually on top of these a little better and Franko was always a good safety net. thank goodness I can get flowers delivered the same day in Chengdu Embarassed

Casprd

Back to top Go down

Chinese Valentines Day Empty Re: China's Valentines Day

Post  docmyster Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Well, I can't send any flowers or e-card to Shu because she is on a train. So the next best thing I can do is I scheduled a spa treatment for her at the Crowne Plaza where I am at and where she will soon join me. I'm pretty sure after a few slaps in the face for not saying anything Crying or Very sad , I will get plenty of points for the spa treatment considering the long train ride. Laughing

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Chinese Valentines Day Empty Re: China's Valentines Day

Post  docmyster Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Well, guys, I'm saved.

It turns our Qi Xi Jie Festival is actually the opposite of western Valentines Day. It is the women, mainly single females, that take out the men to show their love for them in order to attract them and eventuaslly get the men to propose marriage. Married couples do not celebrate Qi Xi Jie, since is for single young ladies to make themselves beautiful and make carvings from water melons to attract attention of single men.

Oh well, the spa treatment for Shu is still on and I changed it to where we both get spa treamtents together.

Snyder
docmyster
docmyster

Back to top Go down

Post  premington Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:18 pm

YIKES! This totally flew past me... Thanks, Brian, for the heads up! I was a total copycat and sent a hokey card using Blue Mountain also. I'm not sure if the wife follows valentines or not. I'll find out... Needless to say (thanks to you), either way, she'll be very impressed I remembered.

Ha! What she doesn't know won't hurt her! king

-Bao Luo!
premington
premington

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprd Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:19 am

As doc says, it's mostly younger single women or newly married couples who recognize this holiday. Even then I think it's one of those regional things as Xiaoming usually doesn't notice it. I think as retail shops catch on to this it will become more of a widely recognized holiday, kind of like christmas. Still amazed at the amount of christmas decorations and music in Chengdu last year. The hotel even had a christmas tree in the lobby.

Casprd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down